The Rogue is a master of stealth and deception, slipping between shadows and ambushing isolated adventurers. The Rogue is the fastest and slipperiest class in Dark and Darker, honestly, the biggest threat to a scattered group. Rogues are difficult to master from their low health and light armor, but they can easily bring down any class with a well-executed ambush.
Our Assassin Rogue build focuses on hiding from players with invisibility and dealing fast burst damage to whittle down or eliminate enemy players from their backline.
Quick Overview of the Rogue Class
- Fastest class in the game.
- Good burst damage.
- Has damage over time debuffs to whittle down enemies.
- Rogues can go completely invisible in Dark and Darker.
- Can pick locks without a lock pick.
- Fastest interaction speed in the game.
- Extremely quiet.
- Low health
- Low magic resistance.
- Lacks self-healing and utility.
All Rogue Abilities and Perks
|Ambush||The first attack within 2 seconds after stealthing deals 50% additional damage.|
|Backstab||A successful attack applies poison that deals four magic damage over 4 seconds. Poison can stack up to 5 times at once.|
|Poisoned Weapon||A successful attack applies poison that deals 4 magic damage over 4 seconds. Poison can stack up to 5 times at once.|
|Stealth||If you are hiding, you can move 10 steps while crouching or walking.|
|Dagger Expert||Dagger deals 5% additional damage.|
|Creep||Footstep sounds reduced when walking (Shift) or crouching (Control)|
|Pickpocket||Footstep sounds are reduced when walking (Shift) or crouching (Control)|
|Hidden Pockets||Items worn in utility slots do not appear on your waist.|
|Lockpick Expert||Ability to pick locks without a lockpick.|
|Trap Detection||Highlights nearby traps. Highlighted traps can be disarmed.|
All Rogue Class Abilities in Dark and Darker
|Hide||Cooldown: 45 seconds||Become invisible for 60 seconds. You can change your equipment in this state. You are revealed when you attempt an action, such as moving, attacking, or using a skill.|
|Rupture||Cooldown: 18 seconds||The next successful attack causes the target to bleed for 20 physical damage over 5 seconds. The buff is consumed when an attack hits an object or target.|
|Weakpoint Attack||Cooldown: 24 seconds||When the next attack succeeds, it deals 50% additional weapon damage to the target. If the hit is successful, the target’s defense is reduced by 50% for 5 seconds.|
|Smoke Bomb||Cooldown: 24 seconds.||A smoke grenade is deployed, creating a smoke screen. The smoke screen lasts 30 seconds and covers a 7.5-meter area. When a hostile target enters the smoke screen, its movement speed is reduced by 20%.|
|Caltrops||Cooldown: 0||Upon stepping on it, it deals 10 physical damage and slows the movement speed of the stepper by -50% for 2 seconds.|
The Best Rogue Perks and Abilities for an Assassin Build
For our assassin rogue build in Dark and Darker, we take the following Perks & Abilities:
- Rupture or Weakpoint Attack
- Poisoned Weapon or Lockpick Expert
In the game’s current meta, the best Dark and Darker Rogue build is an ambushing assassin loadout.
Take Hide for our Dark and Darker Assassin rogue build because it’s essential for this loadout and combos well with other perks on this list. Hide not only lets us turn invisible but lets us de-aggro monsters.
Next, we take Rupture, making our next attack put a bleed on our target. Rupture is fantastic for dealing burst damage, then retreating from Barbarians or Fighters, or dealing a lot of additional damage while engaging on a Wizard or Cleric.
Alternatively, Weakpoint Attack does scale better with weapons and has more value, thanks to its debuff. Take Weapoint Attack for going all in on a player, or Rupture for weaving in and out of combat.
For Perks, we are taking Ambush to combo with our Hide and giving us extra damage when leaving stealth. Then we take Backstab, making all our attacks deal more damage from behind. Next, we take Sealth to upgrade our Hide so we can move a tiny bit before the invisibility breaks.
Lastly, take Poisoned Weapon or Lockpick Expert. Poisoned Weapon will give you more damage over time debuffs on every attack, and the damage scales with the additional magic damage stat. Alternatively, take Lockpick Expert so you can lock pick any chest you come across, ensuring you leave no treasure behind.
What Armor/ Weapons to use for Rogues
Rogues can equip the following armor and weapons:
- Leather Armor
- Castillion Dagger
- Kris Dagger
- Rondel Dagger
- Stiletto Dagger
Regarding armor, there isn’t too much variety or huge impacting differences between the several armor sets available to Rogue. Ultimately choose whatever has the best stats or armor rating.
When it comes to weapons, they are still relatively simple. Here are the best weapons for Rogues:
The Rapier is the best weapon for any Rogue build in Dark and Darker. Typically, Rogues are restricted to Daggers, making the Rapier the only one-handed sword they can use. The Rapier has a more extended range and bigger hitbox than a Dagger, making it great for dueling other strong melee classes like Fighters and Barbarians because its range allows you to dodge their attacks.
The Castillon Dagger is among the best daggers a Rogue can get. All Rogue weapons are one-handed, giving you several options for mixing different weapons to dual-wield. The Castillion Dagger has the highest base damage out of all daggers, offering the same attack and movement speed bonuses. The Castillion Dagger is outstanding when paired with the Rapier or with itself.
The Rondel Dagger is a good side grade if neither the Castillion Dagger nor the Rapier can be found. The Rondel Dagger is slightly faster than the Castillion Dagger, but the Castillion Dagger does offer a minimal difference in its damage, but ultimately it does down to personal preference.
The Rogue Class’ Best Stats in Dark and Darker
Every class in Dark and Darker prefers specific additional stats found on weapons and gear. These random enchantments make some items worthless or highly sought after by certain groups.
Here are the Rogue’s best stats:
- All Attributes: Increases all stats of your character.
- True Damage: Damage that bypasses all armor and physical damage reductions.
- Agility: Increases Base Move Speed, Action/Attack Speed, and Equip/Interaction Speed.
- Physical Power: Increases your damage with physical weapons
- Max Health: Increases your character’s maximum health.
- Strength: Increases base health and physical damage bonus.
- Weapon damage: Increases weapon damage.
These are the best stats for Rogues, and specific items with any of the aforementioned enhancements will sell a lot on the market. It’s your decision if you wish to keep any well-stated gear for yourself or sell it on the market, but these are the stats Rogues will be looking for.
Dark and Darker Rogue Tips
Ultimately all classes in Dark and Darker will take time to understand their strengths and weaknesses. Here are some tips to help you avoid some early game mistakes that can save a few of your runs.
- Prioritize bringing Potions or bandages into raids: Potions of Protection(blue) will let you shrug off one or two hits from strength classes, while Bandages and Healing Potions(red) will help you stay topped off, even if you have a Cleric build.
- Hide can de-aggro monsters: Using Hide while being chased by the undead will instantly make the monsters aggro to other players.
- Prioritize 1v1’s other group fights: Rogues aren’t as durable as Fighter or Barbarian builds, making them weaker in the frontline. Use your movement speed to your advantage and prioritize Rangers, Wizards, or Clerics.
- Use your Hide to Ambush: If an enemy team is about to push yours, use your Hide ability to let them pass you by and strike at their backline after the tank passes you.
- Your potions glow in the dark: Having any type of potion in your quick slot will make them appear on your belt. These potions glow in the dark and will give you away, so if you aren’t using Hide, make sure to keep them in your bag. Alternatively, there is the Hidden Pockets Perk, but it’s not useful.
Wrap Up for our Dark and Darker Rogue Build and Guide.
That’s our Rogue Build and Guide for Dark and Darker. The Rogue is a slippery and deadly class who requires excellent movement and timing to get the upper hand. Be patient, and choose your fights carefully. If the situation worsens, use your high movement and interaction speed to escape your foes.
If you enjoyed our look into Dark and Darker and want to learn more about the game, check out our Wizard build guide to see what kinds of spells you are up against.
For now, Good Hunting!