As gamers, we love good shotguns in our video games, and Payday 3 doesn’t disappoint with them, providing some nasty ones to delete enemies at close range. In this game, chaos is present around every corner. Planning your Payday 3 shotgun build and coordinating with your team plays a vital role in this loadout.
Strap in as you discover one of the deadliest builds in Payday 3!
How Fun is a Short-Range Build in Payday 3
A short-range build in Payday 3 means that you’ll be in the middle of all the action, stealing all the fun from everyone as you mow down waves and waves of enemies with some of the most entertaining weapons in this game: shotguns.
Patience? Don’t bother with it! If you’re running a shotgun build in Payday 3, you’ll get as close as you can to your enemies, and they won’t be able to do anything to stop you. This kind of loud build results in more fun, quicker matches, and more loot for you and your friends!
What We Mean by a Short-Range Loadout
Close-quarter combat loadouts make Payday 3 players powerhouses at close distances. Using one turns you into a juggernaut on the battlefield and allows you to quickly deal with enemies up close.
It’s important to remember that you will be in the open, exposed to enemy fire. It is up to you to be prepared for situations like this with the proper armor, skills, and equipment.
Here are some variables to consider before building your shotgun loadout in Payday 3:
Special enemies in Payday 3 can be deadly and pose a heavy nuisance if not dealt with right away. Since you will be in the middle of chaos, you are likely to be vulnerable to these types of enemies. Be aware of your surroundings and prioritize dealing with special enemies first.
Having strong armor will help you resist incoming enemy damage and last longer in gunfights. Equipping light armor will provide greater mobility but will also make you vulnerable. If you are not an experienced player, you can find yourself down and a burden on your teammates.
Your skills on close-quarter builds are crucial as they will help you perform better on the battlefield and give passive effects to give and receive damage more effectively.
Practicing your timing is also vital for this kind of playstyle, as you should only push at the right moment, rather than just when you feel trigger-happy. In close-quarters, short-range builds in Payday 3, good timing is crucial because it allows you to capitalize on opportunities, maximize damage output, and minimize the risk of being overwhelmed by enemies.
Succeding with our shotgun loadout in Payday 3 is about finding the perfect balance between aggression and patience, knowing when to strike and when to hold back.
Related: Is Payday 3 Pay-to-Win?
The difference between difficulty levels in Payday 3 is massive, and it is crucial to understand how each works. We recommend starting with lower levels and going from there. It is much better to win a few matches in normal difficulty than to lose a bunch in hard difficulty or overkill and make no profit or progress.
Best Payday 3 Build For Close-Quartes Combat
Best Skill Trees for Shotgun and Pistol Users in Payday 3
- Ammo Specialist: As a shotgunner, you will be in constant combat, meaning that you will quickly drain your ammo reserves. Ammo Specialist will help you conserve ammo, acquire more ammo, and always have shells to deal with enemies.
- Mower: Mower is an excellent skill for overall improvement, as it can benefit recoil control, stagger chances, and ammo pickups, making it an excellent option for newcomers or practical players. We highly recommend this in our beginner tips guide on how to get better at Payday 3.
- Tank: Tank is a fantastic option for players who want to get close and personal, as it will buff your armor, reduce damage, and improve armor regeneration. This skill tree will help you approach enemies more confidently without worrying about heavy damage to yourself.
- Escapist: The Escapist skill tree is a good option for players who want to move like a racing car through the battlefield and hit and run their enemies. Escapist will help you navigate the map quicker and make you a more challenging target to hit for your enemies.
- Enforcer: Enforcer is a skill tree that will reward you for staying in close-quarters combat by buffing your damage, reload speed, and ammo pickups.
- Gunslinger: Gunslinger can be great, especially with close-quarters escapists, as this skill tree will improve your hipfire damage and spread.
19 Best Skills for Shotgun Loadouts in Payday 3
- Ammo Specialist – Ammo Specialist
- Plate Up – Ammo Specialist
- Mower – Mower
- Suppressive Fire – Mower
- Ammo Funnel – Mower
- Tank – Tank
- Hardy – Tank
- Last Man Standing – Tank
- Escapist – Escapist
- Swift – Escapist
- Enforcer – Enforcer
- Quick Reload – Enforcer
- Face To Face – Enforcer
- Solid – Enforcer
- Shock & Awe – Enforcer
- Gunslinger – Gunslinger
- From The Hip – Gunslinger
- Heavy Hipfire – Gunslinger
- Finisher – Gunslinger
The Best Shotguns in Payday 3 for Our Close-Range Shotgun Build
- Reinfeld 880: The Reinfeld 880 is a shotgun you can obtain early in the game, providing everything you need. With decent handling and accuracy, this limited-range pump-action shotgun will devastate enemies at close range. This shotgun also ranked very highly on our tier list of the best guns in Payday 3.
- Mosconi 12 Classic: The Mosconi 12 Classic Shotgun is a late-game weapon that offers similar damage to the Reinfeld 880 but with improved recoil control and rate of fire. The only downside of this gun is that it is a double-barrel shotgun, so you need to make your shells count.
The Two Best Sidearms to Carry Alongside Your Shotgun in Payday 3
- J&M Castigo 44: The J&M Castigo 44 is a powerful revolver that can help you deal with nearby enemies and threats at longer ranges with very few shots. Do not underestimate this weapon; it can be potent, and you won’t regret using it.
- Signature 40: This handgun is the old trusty in Payday 3, as it is the first pistol you can get in this game, and while it doesn’t shine in anything, it is still incredibly reliable at close quarters, especially if you go for headshots. It is worth mentioning that this pistol can neutralize snipers in up to three hits, making it great for taking out long-range foes when you have to.
Related Article: How to Complete the Best Stealth Build in Payday 3
The Best Equipment For Close-Quartes Combat in Payday 3
Most Useful Deployables for a Shotgun Loadout in Payday 3
For deployment in a shotgun build, it comes down to personal preference as the armor bag, ammo bag, medic bag, or even the turrets can be extremely useful, and you can’t go wrong with any of these options. Coordinate with your team to choose the best option for a deployable in your loadout.
Best Throwable Equipment for Close-By Enemies in Payday 3:
- Flashbang Grenade: The Flashbang Grenade is a great option to stun enemies, allowing you to get close to them and blast their faces with your shotgun.
- Smoke Grenade: Getting too close and personal with enemies can get you into nasty situations, and a Smoke Grenade can be a great tool to make them lose sight of you while you escape from the area.
What Tools to Carry for a Shotgun Run in Payday 3
- Infrasonic Mine: Like the Flashbang Grenade, the Infrasonic Mine can help you stun enemies in specific locations, allowing you to get close to them.
Best Armor to Wear in Payday 3 for a Shotgun, Short-Range Build
Armor is also a personal preference, as some players might prefer light armor to move faster through the map, while others might prefer heavier armor to withstand more damage from the enemy.
Yet, if you know you’re going to be charging enemies a lot and taking them on at short-range where you will be more vulnerable to tasers and other weapons, you will most often want to take with you the strongest armor that you’ve unlocked thus far.
Best Overkill Weapon
- Marcom Mamba MGL: For a close-range loadout, we have to recommend the Marcom Mamba MGL. This grenade launcher will destroy any enemy in a massive radius.
Final Thoughts on How to Loadout the Best Payday 3 Shotgun Build
In conclusion, mastering the best Payday 3 shotgun build requires a keen understanding of your preferred playstyle, the selection of appropriate skill trees and equipment, and the utilization of the most potent firearms at your disposal.
This guide provides a comprehensive roadmap, focusing on close-range combat, combining shotguns and pistols, and capitalizing on skill trees like Ammo Specialist, Mower, Tank, Escapist, Enforcer, and Gunslinger to ensure maximized damage output, survivability, and mobility.
Keep in mind, the best build isn’t just about individual choices but also about how these choices synergize with your team’s strategies. Remember, Payday 3 is a team game, and optimal loadout choices should facilitate both individual prowess and team success.
From weapon selections to armor loadouts, every decision has a ripple effect on the squad’s overall performance. So, grab your shotgun, load up your sidearm, and get ready to unleash mayhem in Payday 3!
For other great loadouts, check out our best Payday 3 sniper build and guide. It will help you play with a completely different playstyle with long-range attacks.