Games in Valorant may not always play out as you want. Whether your opponents are way outclassing you or your team is having a giant argument you feel like it is time to end this match. This guide is here to tell you all about how to surrender in Valorant and why sometimes it is not the best option.
How Does Surrender Work in Valorant?
If you know for sure that it is time for surrender let’s break down how this mechanic works in Valorant.
You can attempt to surrender after the 5th round of the match. The decision is made via the vote and if it does fail you will have to wait until the second half of the game to call the vote again. The vote is allowed once per half so chat with your teammates before initiating the vote.
To successfully call the surrender 4 out of 5 players on the team should vote “Yes”. Otherwise, the vote will fail and the match will continue.
How to Start the Surrender Vote?
Starting a Vote via the Menu
The most obvious way to start a surrender vote is to use the Valorant’s escape menu. Doing it this way is very easy and straightforward.
Follow these steps to start a surrender vote in Valorant:
- Press “Esc” to open the menu
- Click “Surrender” at the bottom of the player list
- Now players have to vote by pressing “F5” (Yes) or “F6” (No)
- If 4/5 players voted “Yes” the match will conclude immideatly
Valorant Surrender Chat Commands
If for some reason you can’t open the menu you can also use chat commands to start a vote. There are a few of those that are made for the surrender vote:
Type any of them in the chat and the vote will start. Then the same pop-up window with a vote will appear and players will have to choose either to go for “Yes” or “No”.
Leave VS Surrender
If you want to end the match you may be considering 2 options: Leaving the match (Alt + F4) or trying to surrender with the whole team.
The upside of leaving is that you don’t need anybody’s opinion to do it. While when surrendering you need to have people that are also done with the game. But don’t be tempted by that, leaving the game will earn you a bad reputation among the community and will also earn you penalties.
Surrender has several results and consequences. It obviously stops the game and grants the opponent team a win while you get a loss on your record.
If that was a Ranked match you surrendered you will suffer a loff of MMR. The loss of MMR in the case of surrender is told to be higher than the one you get from a regular loss.
Bearing all that in mind, make sure to make the right decision when it comes to surrendering in Valorant. Remember to stay strong in the face of any obstacle you encounter during the game. Unless you got cheaters. Then just /ff.
When is it Reasonable to Surrender?
When considering surrender make sure that it is really the best option for you and your team. Sometimes the situation might be not as bad as you see it. So let’s break down the reasons you may have for surrender and the reasonable action to take.
- Your opponents outperform you by a mile. Playing against people who are clearly out of your league is never pleasant. Yes, some may say you can learn a lot by playing against high elo players in a match but it will give you absolutely no joy especially after getting shot in the head from nowhere for 13th time. For learning it’s best to have a good player on your team instead. In this case you will be able to shadow him and communicate directly. Or just watch YouTube video like ProGuides.
- Opponent team has a cheater. Well if you are facing a cheater that you can’t beat, and the opponents clearly are not kicking him out, surrendering is a fair option. Cheater will get banned and your elo will be adjusted at some point anyway.
- Your teammate has left and you are playing 4v5. Playing 4v5 is near to imposiible with an equal level opoonents. No matter what happened, if you ended up in a 4v5, feel free to surrender. Valorant also has an option to remake the match if it started as a 4v5.
- Real life troubles. Never prioritize game over life. If there is something you have to attend to in real world try to concede a match if you are in the party, or get yourelf kicked since it has less punishment behind it.
Do NOT Surrender if
- Team lacks moral. Even though there is not much you can do yourself try to stick together and perform as best as you can. If the lack of morality is expressed in the public chats/vc you may as well mute them. This way you can focus on the action and maybe boost the morale by doing some insane clutches.
- Team is not communicating. If the team lacks communication and your teammates are not using chat/VC it is not a reason to concede. As a simple method of communication you may as well use pings. Whether your team is using them or not, you will have to watch the minimap more often to gather intel on opponents. This way you can stay coordinated without much communcation.
- You are going 0:8 but you know you are a match. Are you losing? Yes. But is it the end? Absolutely no. You have just met your teammates and sometimes it may take a while to figure out to co-op with each other. If you know you can take the rival team down, keep fighting. Comeback is always real.
- You got really frustraded. Well all know when that happens. And honsetly, if you haven’t figured out yet how to cope with your own anger then I don’t know how you even play multiplayer games. Breathe in. Breathe out. Glass of water and back to it. At least that’s what I do. For you it can be something different.