Skyrim is one of the best RPG games of all time. Even so, the game is not without its flaws, and its age sometimes shows in how it runs. Without mods, crashes are not frequent, but they do occur and can sometimes freeze your entire PC, leaving you to try and exit the game any way you can.
Whether you simply want to know how to exit Skyrim on PC or desire an advanced method, this article will cover it all and provide you with some tips to prevent crashing. Please note that this article is intended only for PC players.
How To Exit Skyrim
The simplest way to exit the game is to press Escape to open the main menu and navigate to Exit to Desktop. Click on it, or use your arrow keys. If you do not see the Exit to Desktop prompt in Skyrim’s menu, scroll down with your mouse.
The UI makes it hard to find unless one knows to scroll through the main menu, which many people will simply miss.
What To Do If Skyrim Is Frozen and You Can Quit the Game on PC?
If your Skyrim is black-screened, frozen, and not responding, or overall not functioning properly, and you are unable to exit normally, you will need to find alternative ways of attempting to exit.
- First thin you should do to try and exit Skyrim on PC is simply Alt-Tabbing, right-clicking on the app, and pressing “Close Window.”
- If that does not work, Ctrl+Alt+Del and closing the game with Task Manager is probably the most reliable way of solving any unresponsive app on your PC in general. We recommend having your task manager Always On Top.
- You can do that by navigating to your Task Manager and, under Options, selecting “Always On Top.” This will ensure that you avoid situations in which your PC is running, but the game is frozen, blocking every action you attempt.
- Alt+F4 will sometimes do the trick, but if your game is frozen, chances are this won’t work; however, it doesn’t hurt to try.
- If an issue is really persistent, you can sign out and back in by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del and selecting “Sign Out.” This is quicker than restarting, but it is not a replacement for it.
- In the end, if nothing works, you may need to restart your PC.
In conclusion, exiting Skyrim on PC can be a simple task or a bit more complicated if the game has frozen or is unresponsive. From using the in-game menu to employing keyboard shortcuts and Task Manager, this article has provided you with various methods to safely exit Skyrim on your PC.
By being prepared with these techniques, you’ll be better equipped to handle any issues that may arise while playing this beloved RPG. Happy adventuring in the world of Skyrim! For more great tips on what to do when in the game, check out our guide on how to call your horse in Skyrim.
It is important to remember that while these tips can help prevent crashes and improve your gaming experience, sometimes a complete restart of your PC may be necessary.
If, instead, you are looking to quit Skyrim for good due to some issues in-game, check out our linked companion guide. We’ve got some great tips and tricks for fans of the game to feel envigorated again and dive into the world anew.